Learn to play guitar with our free guitar course! Whether you want to play acoustic or electric, folk or metal, in this eight-part series of free guitar lessons for beginners you'll find hints, tips and advice to get you started.
You'll soon be playing your first chords, melodies and songs!
The guitar is a great instrument to learn: you can learn the basics very quickly; it's a relatively cheap instrument to buy; it's quiet enough to practice without disturbing your neighbors; and it's hugely versatile.
Learn To Play Guitar In Two Months: Free Guitar Lessons For Beginners
This page is the introduction to our series of free guitar lessons for beginners. If you start now and work hard then in two month's time you'll be able to play the chords and melodies of many of your favorite songs.
From there, you can build on your technique and take your playing in any direction you want!
Excited? So are we! Let's get started ...
- Week 0 Lesson: Guitar Basics
- Week 1 Lesson: Tuning A Guitar & Holding A Guitar Pick
- Week 2 Lesson: Simple Guitar Chords
- Week 3 Lesson: Strumming Patterns For Guitar
- Week 4 Lesson: How To Read TABs
- Week 5 Lesson: How To Read Music For Guitar
- Week 6 Lesson: Easy Guitar Solos
- Week 7 Lesson: Guitar Barre Chords
- Week 8 Lesson: Easy Guitar Riffs
Two Month Beginner Guitar Course
Below you'll find out what is covered in each lesson. There's also a brief guide to getting started.
- Want more great guitar information? Subscribe to our FREE email newsletter!
- Teaching yourself to play guitar? Check out JamPlay for online lessons, and get playing even faster!
Learn To Play Guitar In 2 Months?!?
Okay, you're (probably) not going to be Django Reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuel or Steve Vai after two months, but you should be able to play notes, chords and songs. From there there's nothing stopping you reaching the very top of your field!
Even if you start with just a few simple chords, over the months and years your musical journey can take in anything from Bach to metal. You'll be able to wow your existing friends by playing (and writing) songs, and make new ones by playing in bands and ensembles.
You could even become a rock star!
- If you want a better idea of how fast you can get playing, we've written an article on the subject here: How Long Does It Take To Learn Guitar?
What Kind Of Guitar To Use?
This series of beginner guitar lessons has been designed for acoustic and electric guitars.
You can find out more about the different kinds of guitar in this article: Types Of Guitar.
Although there's nothing stopping you from using a classical guitar (which have nylon, rather than metal strings), the lessons below won't be covering classical guitar technique. Our course is more concerned with pop/rock styles.
If your eventual aim is to play classical guitar then the information in these lessons will still be helpful: the notes are in the same places, and the basics are the same.
- You can read more about learning classical / Spanish guitar here: Learning Classical Guitar.
Learn To Play Guitar In Two Months - The Course
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 0: Guitar Basics
Our Guitar Basics lesson provides an excellent introduction to the guitar and guitar playing techniques. We suggest that you have a quick look to get you up to speed.
Once you've learned the basics, it's time to get down to business…
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 1: Tuning A Guitar & Holding A Guitar Pick
These lessons will tell you: the guitar string notes, how to tune a guitar and how to hold a guitar pick.
You'll need to know how to tune a guitar. An out of tune instrument will sound pretty awful even in the hands of an expert!
Luckily, this is a quick and easy skill to master (especially using an electronic tuner, which we recommend). Click on the link below to get started!
- See the lesson here: Standard Guitar Tuning
- You'll also need to know how to hold a pick. Find out here.
You could spend a week absorbing the information in these lessons, but you'll probably be eager to start playing some music, in which case head for lesson 2…
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 2: Simple Guitar Chords
In this lesson you will be introduced to guitar chords. Chords are played to accompany songs and melodies. This lesson shows you how to how to interpret guitar chord boxes, and introduces two easy-to-play chords to get you started.
- Learn to play your first chords here: Simple Guitar Chords
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 3: Strumming Patterns For Guitar
Bring your chords to life with these strumming patterns for guitar. Learn the basics of rhythm guitar playing and practice with example chord progressions.
- Get strumming! Find out how here: Strumming Patterns For Guitar
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 4: How To Read TABs
Tablature (or 'tab') is easier to learn than standard music notation and is a great way of learning new music.
- Learn this vital skill here: How To Read TABs
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 5: How To Read Music For Guitar
Once you have mastered reading TAB, it's time to learn the basics of musical notation. Includes popular melodies to play.
- Learn the basics of music notation: How To Read Music For Guitar
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 6: Easy Guitar Solos
In introduction to improvising on the guitar. Learn guitar scales and try out some solos over the included backing tracks.
Learn how to improvise: Easy Guitar Solos
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 7: Guitar Barre Chords
Learn how to play easy bar chords. Use movable chord shapes and play any chord!
- Be prepared for sore fingers! Easy Barre Chords
Free Beginner Guitar Lessons - Week 8: Easy Guitar Riffs
In the eighth and final part of our Learn Guitar In Two Months series, we show you how to use two simple guitar techniques to write your own guitar riffs.
- Get riffing and write your own songs: Easy Guitar Riffs
Over To You...
Well, you made it! How are the fingers? Not too sore we hope!
In this series of free guitar lessons for beginners we've provided you with everything you need to know to get started on this versatile instrument.
Now you know the basics of guitar playing the world is your oyster. Keep a regular practice routine and try to play with other musicians – and in front of other people – whenever you can. Don't keep your new skills to yourself!
- If you want to learn guitar even faster then check out online tuition providers such as JamPlay for online lessons.